"Katana" Week 5:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Three parts today as we get some work in before Open 20.2.
1. Box Squat
3. Recovery Effort
30 Single Unders
15 AbMat Sit-ups
5 Good Mornings
5 Back Squats
5 Elbow Rotations
5 Strict Press & Reach
5 Romanian Deadlifts
5 Front Squats
Box Squat (7 Sets of 3)
Click here to see a video example of the box squat - https://youtu.be/FtfoIL-Cjyo
• Set height to just below parallel.
• 1s full stop at bottom.
Set #1 - 50% of 1RM Back Squat
Set #2 - 55%
Set #3 - 60%
Sets #4+5 - 65%
Sets #6+7 - 70%
Rest as needed (1-2 minutes) between sets.
• Bar in the back rack position.
• Squatting stance is about 6-8" wider than our regular squat stance (more posterior engagement here).
• As we sit down and back, the aim is to come as close to "vertical shins" as possible on the. We need to reach with out waist.
• Pause for a full second on the box, but, maintain full tension. Never relax... stay engaged.
• To stand, avoid "rocking" forward for momentum. Instead, cue the hamstrings and pull ourselves to a full standing position.
• Stand with SPEED. Stand aggressively, and stand with as much power as we can.
Child’s Play (Time)
15 Deadlifts (205/145)
20 Dumbell Front Squats (50's/35's)
• Focus here today is on the front squats and double-unders, two movements we are likely to see in the open. This combination creates a grippy feel, challenging our sets on the rope.
• Moderate loads is the aim. A deadlift and dumbbell front squat weight that we could complete 25+ reps unbroken when fresh.
• Athlete's choice on racking the dumbbells, but - if we are very comfortable with the full "racked" position (handles sitting on shoulders), let's challenge ourselves by keeping our hands on the handles.. in a more "traditional" front squat position.
Metcon (AMRAP - Rounds)
5 Rounds, Not for Score:
1:00 - Light Pace
:40s - Moderate Pace
:20s - Fast Pace
This is a 10:00 piece in total, where we have 5 x 2:00 sections. It runs continuously (no stopping between), changing through the three paces.